Nursing Academic Specialist
Company: West Coast University
Posted on: January 18, 2023
- Reporting to the Manager of Persistence and Outcomes, Nursing,
the Nursing Academics Specialist is responsible for delivering and
maintaining a comprehensive Academic Action Plan for students at
risk utilizing the internal West Coast University initiatives and
developing strategies to improve testing performance for the
pre-licensure West Coast University Nursing programs. The Nursing
Academics Specialist evaluates the effectiveness of course
initiatives, creates new methods to improve course performance, and
proposes developments in curriculum to address nursing program
subject matter areas to increase persistence. - Establishes
specific remediation goals and objectives, conducts remediation
workshops and tutorials, and develops methods to enhance student
performance. The Nursing Academics Specialist analyzes student data
to identify strengths and weaknesses of students within assigned
courses in the core nursing program. In addition, the Nursing
Academics Specialist utilizes and fully integrates ATI (Assessment
Technologies Institute) resources to promote understanding of
course content and increase overall student persistence. ESSENTIAL
FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: -(Every effort has been made to
identify the essential functions of this position. - However, it in
no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be
required to perform. - The omission of specific statements of
duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is
similar, related, or is an essential function of the position.)
- Supports students learning through workshops, remediation
sessions, group tutorials, and one-on-one meetings to improve
- Ensures full integration of ATI tools and resources in all
student meetings to enhance remediation and concept
- Creates methods of integrating strategies to increase test
taking skills, study skills and note taking skills to increase
- Evaluates course concepts and cohort performance in order to
provide effective recommendations for curriculum review.
- Analyzes assessments to determine remediation needs and to
develop effective Academic Action Plans (AAPs) for students.
- Collaborates with faculty to identify course weaknesses and
develop innovative initiatives to address them.
- Collaborates with faculty to identify Students at Risk for
persistence issues and develops action plans to address their
- Identifies Students at Risk through data tracking platforms and
develops interventions to address identified challenges to core
course success and persistence.
- Initiates and maintains communication with Students at Risk to
provide effective and consistent support during core courses.
- Develops and monitors AAPs for students at risk.
- Participates in student focused engagement activities to
promote the Nursing Academic Success Program.
- Partners with Nursing Academic Specialists on the other
campuses to ensure University-wide consistency.
- Assesses the effectiveness of course specific persistence
strategies and progress in meeting mutually established objectives
- Evaluates data such as proctored assessments, time in tutorial
sessions and pre/post tests on comprehensive predictors to
appropriately advise the Manager of Persistence and Outcomes,
- Coordinates a plan to best observe, remediate, and evaluate
student's learning and synthesis of nursing concepts of all core
- Participates in professional development and organizations in
order to maintain an understanding of current ideas, research and
practices, attends meetings, workshops and seminars to enrich
personal growth, knowledge and skill in student learning and
- Maintains professional appearance for position and serves as a
role model, leader and mentor to the campus community.
- Ensures proper and timely documentation of all student
interactions including STARS reports, AAPs (Academic Action Plans)
and Campus Nexus.
- Attends all meetings as required to enhance communication and
collaboration within the nursing program.
- Participates in the Campus Attrition, Persistence, and Support
(CAPS) meetings (If required by Campus Leadership)
- Maintains regular and timely attendance, reports to work as
scheduled and assures time worked and/or time-off is recorded
- Maintains established department policies, procedures and
attends in-services and other required meetings.
- Maintains confidentiality of all student, associate, and/or
university information as required.
- Remains current in applicable program field, participates in
faculty meetings, and conducts instructional seminars and
in-service training sessions.
- Conducts job responsibilities in accordance with the standards
set out in the University's Code of Ethical Conduct, Compliance
Agreement, Sexual Harassment Policy or any of its policies and
procedures, applicable federal and state laws, and applicable
- Exercises care, proper use and maintenance of department
equipment and supplies and identifies unsafe conditions and makes
- Maintains order, cleanliness and safety at work.
- May perform duties as assigned. EDUCATION: Master's degree in
nursing from an accredited college or university which includes
course work in nursing, education or administration required. -
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: Current Registered Nurse License required
in state of employment. KNOWLEDGE/EXPERIENCE:
- A minimum of two years as a Registered Nurse providing direct
patient care or equivalent and/or education.
- Mastery in knowledge of one or more related disciplines
- Knowledge in technological support and delivery of program area
- Knowledge of applicable databases and computer application
systems to supply the most accurate information, reports and
- Experience in MS Office #LI-MJ1
#HEJABOUT USFor over 100 years, West Coast University has been
educating and preparing students for professional careers across
our six campuses located in Southern California, Dallas, Miami, and
Online. As part of our unique student-centric approach to advanced
healthcare education you will be empowering future healthcare
professionals. At West Coast University our students are Ahead of
the Curve. Our Mission is to embrace a student-centric learning
partnership that leads to professional success. We deliver
transformational education within a culture of integrity and
personal accountability. Our benefited faculty and associates are
offered a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Health & Wellness
- Financial & Retirement
- Family & Parenting
- Vacation & Time Off
- Perks & Discount
- Professional DevelopmentWest Coast University is proud to be an
equal opportunity employer, and we seek candidates who desire to
work in and serve an ethnically-diverse population.Campus: WCU
Keywords: West Coast University, Glendora , Nursing Academic Specialist, Other , Glendora, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!