LVN - Full time, Glendora
Company: City of Hope
Posted on: May 3, 2021
About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and
educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to
the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening
diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of
Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and
advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and
scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute
designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the
National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's
20 leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of
care for cancer treatment.
This position description has been designed to indicate the
general nature and level of work performed by employees within this
classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as
a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and
qualifications which may be required of the employee assigned to
the position. Job duties may vary depending on facility.
Under the direction of a licensed provider or Registered Nurse
(RN), the LVN assists in the evaluation of nursing care by
collecting subjective and objective data and recognition of
problems or abnormal conditions specific to patients of all ages.
Monitors medical condition of patients and reports changes to
appropriate health care team member. The duties may vary from
setting to setting, depending on the size, location, and type.
Applies good interpersonal and communication process utilizing
verbal and non-verbal skills to achieve organizational service
goals of customer satisfaction and a positive work environment.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Will provide direct patient care services as determined by the
patient's plan of care under supervision of provider and licensed
- Prepares for patient appointments by reviewing and updating
patient records prior to appointment. This includes checking for
updates of recent test results, lab results and correspondence.
Also reviews patient record (EHR) to determine needed services and
whether referrals are in process or have been completed since last
- Provides initial medical screening: Greets patients and directs
to appropriate exam / procedure room. Obtains weight, height,
temperature, blood pressure, pulse, pain level, chief complaint, O2
saturation (if indicated) and basic medical history; accurately
documents in medical chart according to generally accepted medical
- Appropriately prepares patient for visit and alerts physician
when patient is ready to be seen. When provider is unavailable,
keeps the patient updated on the status of their appointment and
when necessary assists the patient in re-scheduling or scheduling
follow-up. Provides information to patient as to general clinic
policies, patients' rights and responsibilities as needed.
- Performs general clerical duties in support of health care team
according to the needs of the clinic and as directed by provider(s)
and nursing staff. These include but are not limited to answering
phones, photocopies, faxing, typing, completing forms, etc. Works
with patient scheduling system to assist Patient
Scheduling/Registration staff with the orderly and efficient
- Assists provider or nurse upon request during examination /
procedure of patient and according to generally accepted medical
standards. Practices universal precautions with respect to
established safety protocols. Facilitates communication between the
provider(s) and patient as needed, including translation as
- Provides administrative back-up support to the health care team
as assigned and as necessary for the smooth and efficient operation
of the clinic. Accepts floating assignments to other areas of
Clinical as needed and assigned.
- Maintains work station in accordance with protecting PHI.
Performs routine quality check of equipment and promptly reports
damaged or missing equipment from exam/procedure rooms.
- Ensures clinical areas are organized with respect of standards
in safety and quality patient care. Works collaboratively with
health care team and other departments in solutions-oriented
problem solving with the goal of providing safe quality patient
- Maintains exam / procedure rooms according to protocols: Cleans
rooms between patient exams to ensure patients' comfort and
compliance with infection control standards; ensures all necessary
supplies are stocked. Promptly reports when supplies are low and
works with nursing staff to ensure timely reordering is
- Administers medication via the following routes: oral,
intradermal, subcutaneous, sublingual, intramuscular, instillation,
suppository, topical, and irrigation.
- Administer immunizations understanding order from
- CVAD care and blood withdrawal and starts, hangs, monitors and
discontinues blood products and/or I.V. fluids. ( LVNs certified in
intravenous therapy only)
- Performs basic nursing procedures including thermal
applications, non-sterile soaks and applications of simple
dressing, perineal care and urine tests.
- Perform part of the triage process that includes interview,
observation, the collection of subjective and objective data, and
the recognition of problems or abnormal conditions specific to the
- Utilizes time in a constructive and efficient manner by
assisting in such duties as restocking rooms/shelves/trays,
checking supplies and ensuring that all areas, exam / procedure
rooms are clean and orderly.
- Maintains compliance with manufacture guidelines to include,
but not limited to disinfectant/sterilization and safe handling of
- For safety and security reasons, is responsible for knowing the
whereabouts of a patient any time the patient is in clinical areas.
In the event a patient or clinic emergency, may be called to
activate the proper 'code', assisting provider(s) and clinical
staff with the appropriate emergency response. In the event of
evacuation, will assist in the evacuating of patients being seen by
her/his provider(s) as scheduled.
- Annually demonstrates competence in accordance with required
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
- Performs all duties in support of successful EHR
- Performs additional duties within their scope of
practice/training, as assigned by health care team and in support
of quality assurance and improvement.
- Adherence to identified nursing standards of practice.
- Must demonstrate competence in medication administration and
knowledge prior to administering medications.
- Per-certifies surgical and other procedures, if
- Receives verbal, telephone and written orders and enters them
into the EHR at the time order is received.
- Performs peripheral blood drawing (phlebotomy).
- Directs lab/test results to provider for review.
- Performs patient education when appropriate, provides health
care instructions and documents in the HER.
- Enhances professional growth and development through
participation in educational programs, reviewing current
literature, attending in-service meetings, and workshops.
Follows established City of Hope and department policies,
procedures, objectives, performance improvement, attendance,
safety, environmental, and infection control guidelines, including
adherence to the workplace Code of Conduct and Compliance Plan.
Practices a high level of integrity and honesty in maintaining
Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
Basic education, experience and skills required for
- High school graduate (or GED) required.
- 1 year work experience as an LVN in a medical environment.
- Accredited License from a Vocational Nurse Program
- Current LVN licensure in the State of California
- Must successfully complete and maintain BLS certification
- Bilingual English/Spanish and/or other languages preferred
- Board Certification in Intravenous Therapy
- Ability to read, write and spell in English and understand and
carry out directions
- Excellent communication skills at a level necessary for
obtaining and accurately documenting patients' medical information.
Compassionate, mature, sympathetic and professional at all
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with patient/family
population and the health care team while demonstrating a high
degree of diplomacy and tact
- Beginner to intermediate computing and phone skills.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the importance of
confidentiality and non-disclosure according to the general
standards set forth by HIPAA
- Eye protection/goggles, gown, mask, and medical gloves.
- Diagnostic equipment
- Sterilization and disinfection equipment
- Medical equipment and devices
- Patient call system
- Exam tables, wheelchairs, gurney, and assistive devices
Working / Environmental Conditions:
- Working knowledge of Universal Precautions
- Atmosphere and environment associated with patient care
- Contact with patients/families and varied circumstances
- Culturally sensitive and demonstrated ability and effectiveness
working with ethnically diverse populations
- Likely exposure to infectious, radioactive or biohazardous
- Likely exposure to housekeeping/cleaning agents/chemicals.
- Regularly exposed to the risk of blood borne pathogens.
- Subject to situations involving grief process and related
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations.
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively in a high-stress and
fast moving environment.
- Willingness to work evenings and/or weekends; demonstrates
flexibility in regards to job duties and assignments.
- Adheres to guidelines including CLIA while handling laboratory
specimens including but not limited to urine, stool, or blood.
- Will have the ability to perform job-related duties, which may
require prolonged, extensive, or considerable standing /
- Lifts, positions, pushes and / or transfers patients.
- Lifting, moving of supplies / equipment.
- Considerable reaching stooping, bending, kneeling, and
- Occasionally may be required to lift and carry items weighing
up to 50 pounds.
- May work under stressful conditions and work irregular
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and
is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a
qualified individual with disability.
- Posting Date: Feb 16, 2021
- Job Field: Nursing
- Employee Status: Regular
- Shift: Day Job
Keywords: City of Hope, Glendora , LVN - Full time, Glendora, Other , Glendora, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!